Jan 18, 2022
NURS 132 Medical-surgical Nursing II Practicum5 credits
In this course the student continues to expand and integrate critical thinking skills, knowledge of the nursing process, communication techniques, and technical skills in an acute care setting.
Prerequisites: NURS 121 , NURS 122 .
Corequisites: NURS 131 .
Quarters Offered: Fall, Winter, Spring
This course teaches to the global outcome of Critical Thinking.
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Holistically care for self, patients, colleagues, and community within an ethical, legal, and diverse framework within the scope of practice of the RN
- Evaluate principles underlying the medical and nursing treatment of single system and multi-system medical-surgical illnesses to develop solutions that ensure safe effective care in stable and predictable situations.(Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN): Safety & Quality Improvement)
- Apply nursing skills and interventions that are consistent with established nursing standards and the individual plan of care (QSEN: Evidence-based Practice (EBP))
- Understand and create patterns of practice which integrate the principles of caring, ethical responsibility, and respect for human dignity (QSEN: Patient Centered Care)
- Analyze and apply technical and communication skills to obtain, organize, and record data (QSEN: Informatics)(Global Outcomes (GO): Information Literacy & Communication)
- Demonstrate competency in educating and communicating with patients, families, interdisciplinary teams, and systems with a focus on quality health care and promotion and functional patient outcomes
- Apply accepted nursing strategies that are consistent with the cultural, socioeconomic and spiritual influences of the client (QSEN: Patient Centered Care & Evidence-based Practice (EBP)) (GO: Intercultural Appreciation)
- Utilize therapeutic communication skills that emphasize information literacy and cultural sensitivity when interacting with clients and significant support person(s) (QSEN: Informatics) (Global Outcome (GO): Intercultural Appreciation & Information Literacy)
- Evaluate and utilize appropriate communication systems and strategies in collaborating with the health care team to assist in the management of individual client care. (QSEN: Teamwork and Collaboration)(GO: Communication)
- Implement the nursing care process to demonstrate safe, competent and evidence-based care within a variety of settings using appropriate tools and technologies
- Understand and demonstrate accountability for personal actions that is consistent with ethical and legal responsibilities of nursing (QSEN: Patient -centered Care & Safety) (GO: Critical Thinking)
- Apply client teaching strategies that emphasize information literacy, cultural awareness and holistic health promotion (QSEN: Informatics)(GO: Information Literacy, & Intercultural Appreciation)
- Utilize clinical reasoning skills to synthesize patient assessment data, scientific knowledge, and pharmacology to safely manage a rapidly changing health care status
- Analyze and assemble accurate data to identify both normal and abnormal findings, to care for the individual in a structured setting (QSEN: Evidence-based Care & Quality Improvement) (GO: Critical Thinking)
- Create a systems approach to understand and apply pharmacologic interventions in the treatment of medical-surgical disturbances in a relatively stable situation (QSEN: Safety & Informatics)(GO: Critical Thinking & Information Literacy)
- Understand and demonstrate accurate nursing judgment in the preparation, safe administration, and recording of medications for multiple clients (QSEN: Safety) (GO: Critical Thinking)
- Provide leadership to effectively collaborate and delegate with patient, family, interdisciplinary, systems administration and the wider community
- Apply the organizational skills needed to deliver nursing care to multiple clients (QSEN: Safety & Teamwork and Collaboration)(GO: Critical Thinking & Teamwork)
- Apply interpersonal skills which show collaboration with healthcare team members QSEN: Teamwork and Collaboration)(GO: Communication & Teamwork)
Total Hours: 100 Lecture Hours: 100