Dec 05, 2020
ENGL 098 Textbook Reading2 credits
This course is designed for students who want to improve their ability to follow directions and understand the materials they read for both technical and academic work at a college level. Students currently taking ENGL 099 or ENGL& 101 will find additional support for their reading improvement in this course.
Prerequisites: ENGL 092 , and ENGL 093A or ENGL 093B ; or equivalent placement score.
This course teaches to the global outcome of Communication.
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Use a variety of strategies to comprehend unfamiliar vocabulary
- Identify the elements of a textbook or manual
- Read and follow directions for tests, textbook activities, and technical procedures
- Locate essential information in technical manuals and reports
- Recognize main ideas and supporting details in passages
- Summarize essential information
- Relate supporting details to main idea
- Formulate and ask questions related to text
- Make predictions and hypotheses about text
- Interpret information charts, graphs and instruments pertaining to discipline/program
Total Hours: 30 Lecture Hours: 10 Lab or Clinical Hours: 20