CULA 146 Garde Manger
Students will apply techniques of pickling, brining, curing and smoking and the preparation of forcemeats and mousses. Modern ways of designing, arranging and decorating food platters for practical and show purposes are emphasized and practiced.
Students are introduced to the basic function and structure of the cold kitchen, pantry, reception foods, a la carte appetizers, and grand buffet arrangements. Students learn how to prepare sandwiches, salads, dressings, cold sauces, canapés, hot and cold hors d’oeuvres, appetizers.
Prerequisites: CULA 119
Quarters Offered: Summer
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Create cold sauces, dressings, dips and butter components
- Perform basic principles of food presentation and platter layout/styling
- Define and use common terms associated with Garde Manger
- Assemble cold appetizers, hors d’oeuvres, and hot and cold reception food
- List and identify ingredients, herbs, and spices associated with the cold food
Total Hours: 60 Lecture Hours: 20 Lab or Clinical Hours: 40