AHSE 054 High School Equivalency Orientation and Portfolio
This course is required of all students entering the HSE Exam /HS21+ Pathway, and those completing their HS21+ portfolio to submit for graduation.
This course orients students to the HSE Exam/HS21+ Pathway, the college in general, the online platform, and to various programs and resources. Students complete learning assessments to identify potential barriers to completion and develop mitigation plans. Students determine most appropriate high school equivalency pathway for their circumstances, then set goals and an academic plan to achieve them. Course provides instruction in navigation of the college website and online learning platform, as well as, study skills, persistence strategies, and traits of a successful student. It also provides orientation to independent learning contracts and portfolio assessment to those students preparing to navigate the HS21+ Pathway.
Prerequisites: A minimum of 226 on the CASAS Reading Assessment and a writing sample or instructor permission
Quarters Offered: All
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Apply concepts of effective learning strategies
- Formulate an academic goal and a realistic plan to achieve it
- Identify potential barriers to academic success and mitigation strategies
- Investigate student academic and support resources available on campus
- Construct and complete an Independent Learning Contract
- Develop a portfolio for maintaining coursework and documents
- Demonstrate knowledge of college website and online learning platform
- Demonstrate emerging computer navigational online research skills