Feb 22, 2024
Program Admission Dates: Fall, Spring
The Mechanical Design Technology certificate prepares technicians to work directly under the supervision of engineers or designers producing detailed drawings. Technicians are specialists in translating the rough sketches, 3D design models, layouts and written specifications of engineers and designers into a drawing showing the complete details and specifications for the finished product under the close direction of a supervisor.
Mechanical Design Technology certificate graduates will:
- be prepared for a range of entry level positions in the mechanical engineering field with limited responsibilities and scope
- identify and explain common symbols, materials, scales, and terminology used in the field
- demonstrate familiarity with the many tools and techniques associated with design and its application in the work place
- exhibit analytical thought, informed judgment, and ethical behavior
- produce a professional resume, cover letter, and industry ready portfolio
- demonstrate critical thinking, teamwork, communication, intercultural appreciation, and information literacy skills
Lake Washington Institute of Technology does not offer every course each quarter. It is the student’s responsibility to consult the Class Schedule and work out an individual schedule with an adviser or counselor. Any developmental coursework a student may be required to complete may increase the program length.
Required Course Sequence
Technical Elective - 4-5 Credits
The technical elective course can be taken any quarter as long as prerequisites for the chosen course are met. ART 102 Design I recommended. A different course may be taken with department chair approval.
General Education Requirements - 15 Credits
Total Program Credits: 79-80