Admission Dates: Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer
Program Mission: The Culinary Arts AAS degree prepares graduates to work in a commercial kitchen including restaurants, bakeries, cafeterias, delis, hospitals and other specialty shops.
Students will gain skills in every facet of running a commercial restaurant as they learn basic cooking principles, terminology and food handling practices. Practical experience is provided with all stations of line cooking, inventory, daily specials production, garde manger work, sauce preparation and commercial equipment maintenance. Students will be prepared to work in a commercial kitchen of a restaurant, catering company, cafeteria, deli or other specialty shop. Students must always have a valid Washington State Health Card and Serve Safe Certificate.
This program is certified by the American Culinary Federation (ACF). Upon graduation, students will be eligible to receive their initial ACF certifications in either culinary arts or baking arts, depending on their area of specialization.
Culinary Arts AAS degree graduates will:
- be prepared for employment as cooks, short order cooks, pantry cooks, prep cooks, front line cooks, sauté cooks, and grill cooks
- obtain certification from the American Culinary Federation as a Certified Culinarian
- meet the Skills Standards of American Culinary Federation
- demonstrate excellent customer service
- demonstrate critical thinking, teamwork, communication, intercultural appreciation, and information literacy skills
- meet Social Science, Humanities, Written Communication, and Quantitative Reasoning distribution area outcomes
Lake Washington Institute of Technology does not offer every course each quarter. It is the student’s responsibility to consult the Class Schedule and work out an individual schedule with an adviser or counselor. Any developmental coursework a student may be required to complete may increase the program length.