Sep 25, 2023
Program Admission Dates: Fall, Winter, Spring
The Human Resource certificate prepares students to meet the growing need for human resources (HR) professionals. This program prepares students to use various software applications and business knowledge in conjunction with entry-level HR content areas to enhance business operations.
Human Resource Certificate of Proficiency graduates will:
- be prepared for entry-level positions in HR and office administration
- carry out office and HR procedures and management using technology
- explain HR’s role in developing human capital and its impact on an organization’s success
- recognize the partnership of managers and HR professionals in business
- discuss how HR can impact diversity, equity, inclusion, and ethics in organizations
- identify successful strategies for developing a diverse talent pool of qualified candidates
- identify the importance and role of human resource (HR) in ethics and social responsibility in organizations
- leverage technology to support human resource (HR) activities
- recognize the importance of using data to inform business decisions and recommendations
- explain the impact HR has on talent in an organization
- analyze the implications of employment case laws
Certified HR professionals may qualify for re-certification hours toward both HRCI & SHRM-CP/SCP recertification credits. Specialized credit is available. Each college credit hour typically equals 10 HRCI & SHRM-CP/SCP recertification hours.
- Lake Washington Institute of Technology is a HR Certification Institute (HRCI®) Approved Provider. As a HRCI® Approved Provider, classes qualify for PHR®/SPHR®/GPHR®/PHR-CA®/SPHR-CA® recertification credits.
- Lake Washington Institute of Technology is a Society for HR Management (SHRM®) Preferred Provider to award Professional Development Credits (PDCs) toward the SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP℠) and SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP℠).
LWTech has an active SHRM Student Chapter, which is a SHRM Superior Merit Award Winner.
Lake Washington Institute of Technology does not offer every course each quarter. It is the student’s responsibility to discuss sequencing and work out their individual schedule with an advisor. Any developmental coursework a student may be required to complete may increase the program length.
Recommended Course Sequence
The courses listed below are a suggested sequence; as long as prerequisites are met, courses may be taken in a different order.
General Education Requirements - 15 Credits
Diversity and Social Justice Requirement
Within the certificate requirements, students must complete a 3-5 credit course that meets the college’s Diversity and Social Justice (DSJ) requirement. DSJ courses are designated in the college schedule and are designed to meet other general education or technical requirements simultaneous to meeting the DSJ requirement (e.g., ENGL& 101D meets both the ENGL& 101 requirement and the DSJ requirement).
Visit the DSJ requirement webpage to view the current list of general education and technical courses that meet the requirement.
Total Program Credits: 78
LWTech is recognized by Society for HR Management (SHRM®) to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM.
The use of this seal is not an endorsement by the HR Certification institute of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met the HR Certification Institute’s criteria to be pre-approved for recertification credit.