Catalog 2016-2017 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Photonics Technology, Certificate of Proficiency
Admission Dates: Fall, Winter, Spring
Photonics Technology certificate students are prepared to apply basic engineering principles and technical skills in support of engineers and other technical professionals engaged in developing and using lasers and other optical devices and rays for commercial or research purposes. The Photonics Technology certificate includes instruction in laser and optical principles, testing and maintenance procedures, safety precautions, specific applications to various tasks, and report preparation. The certificate prepares technicians with a strong technical base in electronics supporting the additional theory and technology of photonics (lasers and ray technology) within this skillset, enabling the technician to find entry level employment in laser manufacture, testing, installation, maintenance, and repair.
Photonics Technology certificate graduates will:
- be prepared to obtain entry-level positions as photonics technicians, installers, assemblers, and troubleshooters
- be prepared with the skills to perform standard workplace functions with minimal supervision
- be prepared to function safely within the workplace and/or lab environment
- demonstrate critical thinking, teamwork, communication, intercultural appreciation, and information literacy skills
- meet social science, written communication, and quantitative reasoning distribution area outcomes
It is the student’s responsibility to discuss sequencing and work out their individual schedule with a counselor or adviser. Any developmental coursework a student may be required to complete may increase the program length.