Program Admission Dates: Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer
The Medical Assisting AAS degree prepares students for high demand medical office positions including front and back-office positions.
Graduates of the program are eligible to take the Certified Medical Assistant examination offered by the American Association of Medical Assistants. The program will provide students with a knowledge base that includes anatomy, physiology, medical terminology, pharmacology, medical billing and coding, medical office assessments and procedures, patient care and education. Medical Assistants are highly versatile professionals in both clinical and administrative realms. Medical Assistants need to effectively communicate with a wide variety of people including doctors, nurses, clients, medical billing staff, insurance representatives, and pharmacists. The program will culminate the theory, clinical and lab skills in an intern experience in a physician’s office.
The Lake Washington Institute of Technology Medical Assistant program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB).
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 US Highway 19 N., Suite 158
Clearwater, FL 33763
Medical Assisting AAS degree graduates will:
- be prepared to obtain an entry-level position in their field
- be prepared to work in ambulatory settings performing administrative and clinical duties.
- meet CAAHEP Standards in the areas of cognitive and psychomotor skills
- be prepared to pass the CMA (AAMA) exam
- demonstrate critical thinking, teamwork, communication, intercultural appreciation, and information literacy skills
- meet Social Science, Humanities, Written Communication, and Quantitative Reasoning distribution area outcomes
Lake Washington Institute of Technology does not offer every course each quarter. It is the student’s responsibility to consult the Class Schedule and work out an individual schedule with an advisor. Any developmental coursework a student may be required to complete may increase the program length.
NOTE: PROGRAM PREVIOUSLY LISTED AS 90 CREDITS IN TOTAL IN ERROR. CORRECTED 8/31/2022.