Program Admission Dates: Winter
The Mechanical Design Technology AAS-T degree prepares students for careers with mechanical engineering firms (e.g., aeronautics, aerospace, medical, industrial manufacturing, etc.). Technicians are needed to translate the rough sketches, layouts, 3D design models, CAD designs, and written specifications of the engineer or designer into drawings and CAD databases showing the complete details and specifications for the finished product.
Graduates are trained in engineering graphics with a design emphasis to work for companies which manufacture machinery, electrical equipment, computers and fabricated products.
Mechanical Design Technology AAS-T degree graduates will:
- be prepared for a range of entry level positions in the mechanical engineering field with the ability to be independent and self-directed
- identify the elements and principles of mechanical design
- complete comprehensive design projects
- demonstrate industry ready skills and basic drafting fundamentals, concepts and techniques
- exhibit analytical thought, informed judgment, and ethical behavior
- produce a professional resume, cover letter, and industry ready portfolio
- demonstrate critical thinking, teamwork, communication, intercultural appreciation, and information literacy skills
- meet Social Science, Humanities, Written Communication, and Quantitative Reasoning distribution area outcomes
Lake Washington Institute of Technology does not offer every course each quarter. It is the student’s responsibility to consult the Class Schedule and work out an individual schedule with an advisor. Any developmental coursework a student may be required to complete may increase the program length.