Program Admission Dates: Fall
The Funeral Attendant Certificate of Completion prepares students for employment in funeral service as a funeral ambassador or funeral attendant. Students will develop the professional skills necessary to work in various areas of the funeral home that do not require state licensure.
This certificate is not accredited by the ABFSE.
Funeral Attendant Certificate graduates will:
- Demonstrate knowledge in the history of funeral service
- Recognize enduring values of various cultures as expressed in their funeral practices
- Apply a standard of ethical behavior in personal and professional conduct
- Interpret vocabulary associated with funeral service
- Receive initial notification of death and transport human remains
- Assist families during a visitation or viewing
- Participate in various duties of the funeral ceremony
Funeral Attendant certificate students must receive permission to enroll in the first quarter courses from the Associate Dean of Funeral Service Education. Certificate students will not be required to complete the prerequisites listed for the first quarter courses with the Associate Dean’s permission.
Students who wish to enroll in the Funeral Service Education, AAS will have to complete the prerequisite courses and all other application requirements. Completion of the Funeral Attendant certificate does not provide admission to the Funeral Service Education degree.
Lake Washington Institute of Technology does not offer every course each quarter. It is the student’s responsibility to consult the Class Schedule and work out an individual schedule with an advisor. Any developmental coursework a student may be required to complete may increase the program length.