Program Admission Dates: Winter
The Biomedical Device Assembler certificate is designed for students who desire an entry-level assembly job in the healthcare technology fields, with a focus on medical devices equipment manufacturing. The program equips students with relevant, in-demand skills for biomedical equipment assembly, proper installation of electronic/optical/mechanical components, quality inspection and auditing, product finishing, blueprint reading and engineering drawings schematics, and lean manufacturing.
Biomedical Device Assembler certificate graduates will:
- be prepared to obtain an entry-level position in their field
- demonstrate relevant technical skills in electronics, photonics, metrology, quality assurance, computer applications, and lean manufacturing to perform standard workplace functions with minimal supervision
- follow blueprints and schematics to assemble parts or units; position, align, and fasten units to assemblies, subassemblies, and frames using hand tools and power tools
- measure dimensions of products to verify conformance to specifications using industry-standard precision measurement tools, instruments, and devices
- monitor manufacturing processes to identify ways to reduce losses, decrease time requirements, and improve quality
- perform quality checks on products and parts
- determine validation objectives and standards
- follow safety standards within the manufacturing workplace and/or lab environment
- set up and verify the functionality of safety equipment
- be prepared to take industry-recognized certification exams
- create a professional development plan for continued learning and growth in the industry
Lake Washington Institute of Technology does not offer every course each quarter. It is the student’s responsibility to consult the Class Schedule and work out an individual schedule with an advisor. Any developmental coursework a student may be required to complete may increase the program length.