Program Admission Dates: Fall, Spring
The Fitness Specialist/Personal Trainer AAS degree prepares students for entrepreneurial pursuit or employment as fitness instructors or personal trainers in entry-level to mid-management positions in health and fitness clubs, athletic clubs, strength training gyms, retirement centers, corporate fitness centers, and nonprofit and recreation organizations.
The curriculum is designed to help students prepare for the American Council on Exercise Personal Trainer, the National Academy of Sports Medicine Certified Personal Trainer, and the National Strength and Conditioning Association Certified Personal Trainer certification exams. One hundred fifty-four hours of industry-based internship or cooperative work experience is required for program completion.
Fitness Specialist/Personal Trainer AAS degree graduates will:
- be prepared to obtain an entry-level to mid-management position in their field
- demonstrate ability to instruct a variety of clientele on proper exercise form and technique
- demonstrate proficiency at basic fitness assessment and program design
- demonstrate ability to communicate appropriately with and develop programming for special populations
- assess and program for advanced athletes
- demonstrate critical thinking, teamwork, communication, intercultural appreciation, and information literacy skills
- meet Social Science, Humanities, Written Communication, and Quantitative Reasoning distribution area outcomes
Lake Washington Institute of Technology does not offer every course each quarter. It is the student’s responsibility to consult the Class Schedule and work out an individual schedule with an advisor. Any developmental coursework a student may be required to complete may increase the program length.