Dec 02, 2020
NURS 112 Nursing Foundations Practicum2 credits
This course allows the student to apply introductory critical thinking skills, observe the nursing process, practice communication techniques, and demonstrate basic nursing skills in a long-term care setting.
Prerequisites: Instructor permission.
Corequisites: NURS 111 .
Quarters Offered: Fall, Winter, Spring
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Holistically care for self, patients, colleagues, and community within an ethical, legal, and diverse framework within the scope of practice of the RN
- Demonstrate the beginning development of a caring ethical and holistic view in client care situations (QSEN: Patient Centered Care)
- Demonstrate competency in educating and communicating with patients, families, interdisciplinary teams, and systems with a focus on quality health care and promotion and functional patient outcomes
- Utilize therapeutic communications when interacting with individual clients and significant support person(s) (GO: Communication; QSEN: Teamwork & Collaboration)
- Demonstrate effective communication when reporting and documenting basic nursing care activities (GO: Communication)
- Utilize effective communications with health care team members in the coordination of care (GO: Communication, Teamwork; QSEN: Teamwork & Collaboration)
- Implement the nursing care process to demonstrate safe, competent and evidence-based care within a variety of settings using appropriate tools and technologies
- Apply understanding of professional role behaviors to various clinical situations (GO: Critical Thinking)
- Utilize clinical reasoning skills to synthesize patient assessment data, scientific knowledge, and pharmacology to safely manage a rapidly changing health care status
- Develop an awareness of critical thinking and the nursing process as the starting point for providing care (GO: Critical Thinking)
- Provide leadership to effectively collaborate and delegate with patient, family, interdisciplinary, systems administration and the wider community
- Demonstrate basic interpersonal skills needed to work cooperatively and collaboratively with members of the health care team (GO: Communication, Teamwork; QSEN: Teamwork & Collaboration)
- Demonstrate beginning practices that adhere to legal, ethical, and regulatory standards for the practical nurse (QSEN: Evidence-based Practice, Safety)
Total Hours: 40 Lab or Clinical Hours: 40