Mar 18, 2018
WELD 102 Shielded Metal Arc Welding8 credits
This course focuses on the principles, procedures, and operation of equipment to properly and safely use the shielded metal arc welding process.
Prerequisites: WELD 101 .
Quarters Offered: All
This course teaches to the global outcome of Information Literacy.
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Use technical resources to access information regarding the installation, repair, and maintenance of welding and fabrication equipment
- Use technical resources to access information regarding welding and fabrication processes
- Identify and use common types of shop equipment and hand tools to safely perform welding/fabrication procedures
- Follow industry standard safe practices, including the using and wearing of all safety equipment needed to weld or be in a welding environment
- Comply with hazardous material laws and processes
- Use metallurgy principles to properly select material, tools, and equipment, and to perform welding tasks
- Read and follow blueprints
- Use math to make equipment adjustments/calibrations and to complete fabrication projects
- Prepare a work area to do shielded metal arc welding
- Select and safely set up shielded metal arc welding equipment
- Store, transport, and handle all types of shielded metal arc welding equipment properly and safely
- Prepare metal for shielded metal arc welding procedures using proper joint design, equipment, and joint preparation techniques
- Use proper shielded metal arc welding tools and equipment to weld.
- Use proper shielded metal arc welding techniques to weld in all positions
- Complete a resume, cover letter, job application, and job search as necessary