Mar 23, 2019
WELD 100 Welding Overview for Trades7 credits
This introductory course focuses on the principles, procedures, and operation of welding equipment. The course will include oxy-fuel welding and cutting, gas metal arc welding and gas tungsten arc welding. The purpose of this course is to introduce welding to non-welding focus students.
Prerequisites: Instructor permission.
Quarters Offered: Fall, Winter, Spring
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Follow industry standard safe practices, including using and wearing of all safety equipment needed to weld or be in a welding environment
- Identify and use common types of shop equipment and hand tools to safely perform welding procedures
- Use manufacturing principles to properly select material, tools, and equipment, and to perform welding tasks
- Read and follow blueprints
- Prepare a work area to do oxy/acetylene cutting and welding
- Select and safely set up oxy/acetylene welding, brazing, and cutting equipment.
- Store, transport, and handle all types of welding gases and oxy/acetylene welding equipment properly and safely
- Use proper welding tools and equipment to weld, cut, and braze
- Select and safely set up gas metal arc welding equipment
- Prepare metal for gas metal arc welding procedures using proper joint design, equipment, and joint preparation techniques
- Use proper gas metal arc welding techniques to weld
- Store, transport, and handle all types of gas metal arc welding equipment properly and safely
- Use proper welding tools and equipment to weld using the gas tungsten arc welding process