Aug 19, 2018
INTL 089 High-Intermediate Reading5 credits
This course, for non-native speakers of English who are international students, builds on and reinforces the academic reading skills taught in INTL 085 . Students are exposed to a variety of authentic texts and study reading strategies to improve reading speed and comprehension.
Prerequisites: Appropriate score on IEP Placement test, or instructor permission.
Corequisites: INTL 088 , INTL 086B , and INTL 087 .
Quarters Offered: All
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to, in English:
- Read intermediate level texts and identify main ideas and details
- Apply appropriate reading strategies to determine meanings of unfamiliar words
- Relate readings to other readings and prior knowledge
- Infer, synthesize, predict and draw conclusions
- Interpret routine charts and tables
- Write a variety of sentences using appropriate conjunctions, transitions, and punctuation most of the time
- Utilize brainstorming techniques and organize ideas through the use of graphic organizers and detailed outlines
- Write effective paragraphs and basic essays using the western academic English paragraph format
- Develop proper thesis statements and topic sentences
- Write essays with thesis statements, relevant topic sentences, appropriate support and concluding paragraphs
- Write the following essays at an introductory level of competence: narrative, persuasive, cause/effect, and compare/contrast