Sep 25, 2018
INTL 085 Low-Intermediate Academic Reading5 credits
This course, for non-native speakers of English who are international students, builds on and reinforces reading skills taught in INTL 079 and further develops integrated critical thinking and language -learning strategies, and vocabulary building at the low-intermediate level.
Prerequisites: Appropriate score on IEP Placement test, or instructor permission.
Corequisites: INTL 081 , INTL 086, INTL 084 or INTL 088 .
Quarters Offered: All
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to, in English:
- Predict content, read low-intermediate level texts for main ideas and identify details
- Relate readings to other readings and prior knowledge
- Infer and draw conclusions
- Support personal opinions through examples
- Practice brainstorming techniques and organizing ideas through the use of graphic organizers and basic outlines
- Develop proper topic sentences with appropriate support
- Write a variety of sentences, including compound and compound-complex, although with grammatical errors
- Write extended paragraphs with relevant topic sentences, appropriate support and conclusions
- Edit and evaluate others’ writing in a peer-editing context
- Write effective opinion, descriptive, and contrast paragraphs
- Write a basic 5-paragraph essay following appropriate format