Jul 18, 2018
EASL 040 Low Intermediate ESL
Students continue improving their communication skills with an emphasis on reading and writing to enhance their participation in the community and on the job.
Prerequisites: EASL 030 or equivalent placement score.
Quarters Offered: All
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Locate important information in short to medium-length texts; skim and scan for main ideas and details
- Infer meaning of unfamiliar vocabulary by drawing on content knowledge and using contextual clues
- Read and interpret charts, graphs, or maps
- Write simple and compound sentences with appropriate punctuation and capitalization.
- Use familiar vocabulary and basic text structure to write a single paragraph to convey an idea with supporting details and/or examples.
- Make edits of grammar (simple verb tenses), spelling, and sentence structure
- Discuss and exchange opinions
- Discuss personal/employment background
- Use high-frequency vocabulary, knowledge of basic grammar, and sentence structure in familiar communicative tasks and short presentations
- Understand and respond to conversations, explanations, instructions, and short narratives of a somewhat complex nature but related to familiar tasks and situations
- Apply linguistic and background knowledge and strategies (by taking notes and summarizing main points to understand the main intent and details communicated by speaker)