CULA 144 International and Classical Cuisine
This course is an in-depth study of Classical and International cuisines. Through lectures, demonstrations, and hands-on cooking, students will learn the products, ingredients, and techniques that are indigenous to the regions of each cuisine.
Plate presentation, mis en place, organization, and cooking techniques are emphasized. The recipes used in this curriculum are close replications to the original dishes.
Prerequisites: CULA 120 or instructor permission.
Quarters Offered: Summer
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to:
- Recognize and demonstrate awareness to the different products, ingredients, restrictions, and techniques associated with various cultures and countries
- Properly prepare foods using the fundamental cooking methods of various cultures
- Properly prepare and cook foods using classical methods
- Apply food presentation techniques to create aesthetically pleasing dishes
- Properly apply basic butchering techniques in the fabrication of meat products